Wednesday, November 18, 2009

One Bus Ticket To Happiness, Please?

Some increasingly distant time ago, Annabelle Adams was living a hard and bitter life. A life seemingly devoid of hope and love. But that was so long ago now, she hardly remembers it anymore. At the age of 23, she left it all behind somehow. She escaped that past that held no future. It was scary, but she did it. All it took, it turned out, was a bus ticket, to find happiness. She was now 28, and lived in a rented room of a small country home, on the outskirts of a small town in Ohio. She had moved in with a family there 5 years earlier, Mr and Mrs Jenkins, and their daughter Jenny, who was now 8. They made her feel at home, and soon she felt like part of a family that was like none she had ever known before. Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins were lovingly parental and protective of her. Always encouraging, and supportive. And Jenny seemed more and more like Annabelle's little sister. They played games together, and played out in the yard. And Annabelle would read Jenny stories at bedtime. She was quite happy there, and she liked her job at the old Market Cafe on the square in town. For some funny reason, life was fun now. She didn't have a worry in the world.

Her boss at the cafe likes her, and thinks she is funny, and 'quirky', as he put it. And all the customers, too. One, in particular, is always winking at her, and flirting, and wanting to take her to a movie. Many would often ask about how Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins were, and about Jenny. She liked to talk about living with the Jenkins family. Even the mailman was friendly. He would stop and wave to her, and he'd ask all about how the family was doing too. And if she needed anything. Of course, she didn't. She had things here that she had never even dreamed of back then, in her dark and ugly past.

It was the perfect life for Annabelle. Except for one thing, I suppose. You see, Annabelle Adams lived in a run down and somewhat barren house outside of town. And she lived there all alone. The towns people all knew she was crazy, and had for some years now. It had become clear to them, the moment she had stepped off the bus at the station on the square, clutching her little brown suitcase. She was clearly a strange and peculiar young woman. But Annabelle Adams had something about her that they all liked. Something charming, and endearing. So, basically, they went along with her delusional stories, which were, after all, harmless, sweet, and childish imaginings. And she seemed so happy living with the Jenkins family who, of course, didn't really exist. So, why take that away from her? In fact, in conversation, people could sometimes be heard saying something like, "You know, I think I am going to move in with the Jenkins family, myself." Or, "I wish Mrs and Mr. Jenkins would adopt me too!"

The friendly mailman sat down at the counter in the Market Cafe. "Hi, Annabelle", he said. "I saw you and Jenny out playing on the swing set this morning in the front yard. Looked like you two were having lots of fun." "Yes," Annabelle beamed. "My little sister is so much fun!" she added, as she poured him a cup of coffee. "Tomorrow, I am going to take her to the zoo.!" Mrs. Anderson, a little old gray haired lady came in, and hobbled up to the counter. "Annabelle, sweetie?" she said. "I just baked this apple pie for you to take home to the family tonight." Annabelle's eyes lit up, as she looked down at the beautiful golden brown pie. "Oh, thank you so much, Mrs Anderson. They will be so happy and surprised." she said. "Well, they are such a sweet family, you know. And you are sweet too, Annabelle. I hope you all enjoy it." the old woman said, patting Annabelle on the hand.

Annabelle Adams walked across the grassy field toward her house, carrying her pie. A happy smile came across her face as a butterfly flew onto her dress and clung to it. "Hello, little butterfly." she whispered. "Would you like to meet my little sister, Jenny?"

.

6 comments:

Scriber's Web said...

Very interesting story. Inspired by some real events?

mythopolis said...

No, not based on a real event that I know of. I just had the idea about a misfit being taking care of by a kind community.

Anonymous said...

Anabel...I think I knew her....its interesting to think of such a community.I would like to live there.

Ballerina Girl said...

Oh, I like this one Myth...
I MISS YOU!!! I wish I had more time to read yoru stories...they always transport me into a different realm.
The lisping couple a few posts back wath thery sweeth!

Don't forget about me :)
BG

Unknown said...

That would be an awesome place to live.
Where people accept you the way you are, since you are friendly. Even if you are strange.
Sigh.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Sweet story, with an interesting twist. I'm going to move there with Nicole!