Friday, November 6, 2009
My Mother's Hands
I hope this is not depressing to anyone. Because, I don't mean it to be. It's just about a life lived. About the difference between being alive, and having a life. She will be 84 next week. We took care of her as long as we safely could. But, she is riddled with arthritis, has Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, and doesn't know at this point that she is in a nursing home. My sis and I take turns visiting her on alternating days. If we missed a day, she wouldn't know, since she has lost all sense of time. It is a thin line to walk every day. To try to keep your own life going forward, while watching someone else's go down. You have to be able to turn feeling off and on. It becomes it's own art.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
it is one of the most difficult things to watch a loved one who means so much to us go through something we cannot help with. my mother nursed my grandmother for five years at home. it was one of the most difficult things she has ever had to do and at the end she was left feeling depressed and alone. it was a comfort to me to recall her life and all she had accomplished. you and your family are in my prayers.
I can imagine how you feel.
I hope your mother's becoming days are not too hard for her nor her family.
With warmth,
BLOGitse
Hi, Lizzy Loo, and BLOGitse, I appreciate your sentiments. These diseases take their inevitable course slowly. You do have time to absorb the changes. You have time to research it. Research what to expect next. It is more manageable, than a sudden disaster, let's say, if you know what's coming. It can get rough, but you can get tough, what else is there to do?.
with time
more easier to accept a death
when it comes naturally - part of life?
We all are going to die one day.
But it seems to be very difficult subject to talk about. And to accept.
Not for me.
My family knows how/what to do with me. I've made a testament an we've talked about it.
your mothers hands, that caressed your father, that held and nurtured you..hands that now rest and wait and maybe hold another's hand...how beautiful for you to document....
I can relate to how you feel.
It's beyond words to see a loved one deteriorate :(
*hugs*!
Post a Comment