First of all, the idea that there is a "star-maker machinery behind the popular song" ( A Joni Mitchell song quote) to me, is a disappointing model. But, it seems that there is star-making machinery that steers what we will see and watch. I guess this make me old school. Record companies soon discovered that they don't need to scout the garage bands to look for talent. They just have to have their finger to the pulse of the people who buy music. For instance, what gets 13 and 14 year old girls all excited and begging daddy for the credit card? If you can understand that, then you can create a lucrative grind-house of stars that is money in the bank. Make A Band becomes Paint By Numbers. I have a problem with this. Thankfully, independent labels and alternative rock provide some relief.
Secondly, I find it difficult to look at young talent and motivation with an eye to sucking it into the formula as described above. I find myself interested in their individual lives. They all seem driven to live some kind of creative life, and I could not stand to reject them because they don't fit the current formula. We don't need more stars for vicarious kicks, we need more collective creativity in our own lives.
Thirdly, I am only capable of applauding any person, young or old, who is in a quest to simply live a creative life. Sadly, while many may have entered this competition displaying their raw talent, they are coached, and advanced or rejected, on the basis of whether they fit the template of the star-making machine.
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I could never be a judge on American Idol because I think I disagree with all their decision making criteria, judging by the indifference I have to all the artists the show has produced, but they're obviously right - the stuff does sell, and that definitely is the point of that show.
Typical comments by the judges re a performance
"Dawg, that didn't do it for me. You were pitchy. Wrong song for you."
"I think it was brilliant, and your future looks bright!"
"Like your smile, and your outfit."
"That was a total disaster."
And who decide what songs they sing and how?
The format is only for making money. That's it.
BLOGitse
LOL. You certainly know how to bring me out of my hiding:) I think you would be an excellent judge on this show:)
I don't understand what it is about the show. But it certainly sucks 6 months out of my life:) What a waste! Yet I am drawn to it like an addict! Ha ha. Fortunately, this is the last year for the show as we know it.
From talent point of view, this show is simply a platform. One way for relatively unknown artist to showcase their talents. It gives them opportunity and exposure. When artists sign up for this, they are essentially willing to give up a part of their freedom and comply to the rules of the kingdom of AI.
One way to think about this is that it is marketing your skills. There are about 5000 bands in Austin. At least. Most of them are unknown and work only for tips. They barely make any money and rarely get access to such a large audience. They are never discovered. Some artists prefer this route rather than selling their soul to AI. Which is fine. It is their choice.
I personally struggled with this aspect of being an artist. I can paint, create art, take photos etc. I do it for fun and have a job that helps me pay for this. But if I had a living to make out of artwork, to support my family, what would I do? Creating art is easy. Selling it and becoming "recognized" is hard work. I am happy where I am (no one is willing to shell out even 10 dollars to buy my stuff). I don't need the money from selling art but selling=commercial success=you are a true artist-people want to buy your stuff=you are a professional!
Le sigh. Note to self- do not comment on blogs while on cold medication.
Sorry Mythos. Feel free to delete this. I don't even know what point I was making.
Well, I would never delete your comments, Scriber. and welcome back! Yes, I live in the ambience of a music-centered city as well. Yes, if you want mainstream success, you follow mainstream formulas. But there are other trends going on as well. Check out the playlists on a high schooler's Ipod and most likely you won't have a clue as to who 2/3 of these bands/artists are. They are something totally other than what the mainstream offers.
And yes, your point re marketing oneself is well taken. It is one thing to be a producing artist...another thing to draw any attention to it. Note: In a recession, the arts are the first to suffer. Art openings may still be attended, but fewer have the dough to financially support it. Lots of pats on the back...not too many dollars. So it goes.
For me the problem is about fame and glory rather than about art and creativity and talent. Too many young people now simply want to be famous. I assume American Idol follows the same formula as the UK versions of these programmes - several weeks of public auditions followed by the televised competition. It's the public auditions that worry me - that some people can have so little self knowledge / self respect that they can even imagine for just one second that they might be able to sing / perform. And then it's shown on TV and we're all supposed to laugh at it. I can't laugh at it. It horrifies me.
Then the ones who make it through the competition do so because they have the complete package, which does indeed include talent - and you do need to be able to sing to get through what they go through each week and then perform live - but talent alone wouldn't get them through. They also need to have a commercial 'look'. Because this is, after all, not about art and creativity. It's about making money and selling an image, and being thin and all the rest of it. Just like football (soccer) is now all about making money and here in the UK that is now coming under scrutiny.
I watch AI but I watch it for different reasons. I like to see young people get a break and I enjoy seeing new talent.
As far as the judges though, it's very hard to judge any kind of art-it's all subjective really. So, who is to say that something "worked" or "didn't." Yes, there's some technique behind it but a lot of it boils down to taste.
The comments that bother me the most are ones like "like your smile, like your outfit" which are not even focused on the singing. I think, if they are going to judge, they should at least be able to say *something* about the music.
As far as selling, yes, the stuff they pick tends to sell but they have not always been right and some of their "rejects" have gone onto great success too. A lot of that boils down to how hard you are willing to work and the artist having a work ethic that keeps them knocking on doors, playing even "small" gigs, etc. There's no such thing as a "small" gig, only really a small musician, right? Somebody who is willing to work hard will get rewarded (eventually) in the arts, unless they are totally off base and incapable of mastering any kind of technique at all. You would hope that one would know that before stepping up to the stage though, as AI is teaching us, they don't always.
But, yeah, AI can be harsh and, for some people it's all a popularity contest that has little to do with singing.
Post a Comment