Monday, March 8, 2010

An Interesting Tip!

The other day I blogged about the problem of spammers finding my blog site. BLOGitse commented, and said that I should try googling my e-mail address. If it shows up on google search, then spammers can find me! I never thought about that, so I tried it. Sure enough, I found my address. It seems that in several posts from some time ago, I let out my e-mail address. Since my posts can be found in google search, those that had my e-mail address listed showed up! I also found Carol's e-mail address and Arjaa's because I commented on their posts and evidently left my e-mail address for them on their blog site!

Furthermore, I discovered that there are a couple of 'reverse directory' services where you can type in someone's e-mail address, and they can give you that person's real name AND home address!!! These are services you pay for, although one site lets you try their service once for free!

So, I have changed my settings for my blog-site. Previously, my settings allowed for my blogs to appear topically on google search. For instance, if I did a blog entitled "Bob Dylan", anyone google searching Bob Dylan would find my blog post listed. I went back to my blog settings and changed that so that my posts no longer show up in google search.

I wonder how long it will be before hackers figure out how to read word verification script? Hmmmmm........

5 comments:

BLOGitse said...

Your public email account is NOT the same as your private?

Have a nice day!

BLOGitse

mythopolis said...

Actually, I just have one address!

BLOGitse said...

oooops! Do something about it NOW!
oh man...........

BLOGitse

mythopolis said...

I guess I am naive about this. Is it risky to have just one address?

Unknown said...

Interesting