A few days ago I saw a story on the local news of a woman who had a barbershop. She was being told she must remove a fish aquarium from her barber shop because "it was against the law." One has to wonder how such a law got on the books, and why. Today I heard that the state House of Representatives was drafting a new law that would reverse the old law, and thus make it legal to have a fish aquarium in a barber shop. It is easier now to understand how our elected officials do not have the time to work on such issues as the economy, crime, poverty, education, and so on. They are busy making laws or reversing laws such as this one! If anyone can explain to me what this important issue of fish aquariums and barber shops is all about, I would really like to know!! Below is an excerpt from the Tennessean newspaper on this urgent matter.
“While this bill is funny to some of us, it’s important ... to people who are in that occupation,” Cobb (State Representative, Dem.) said.
He proposed the measure after a constituent who owns a barber shop with a built-in fish tank told him she was asked to drain the aquarium after a state inspection and told she could only have fake animals in it.
Under current law, “no animals, birds or fish” are permitted in barbershops, except in the case of animals to help people with disabilities.
Christopher Garrett, spokesman for the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance, said the department reminded legislators that an amendment that broadly allowed fish might inadvertently reverse a separate ban on fish pedicures — the practice where small fish nibble off dead skin — which has been outlawed by a number of states."
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I'm sorry.
But the laws in most states of the US got so darn ridiculous.
There is a reason after all, why hubby left and why we both never would really like to live there after all.
Insanity rules....
Yes there are a lot of crazy laws, and a lot of power-hungry lawmakers, but I still am glad I live here. If I had the freedom to travel, I would love to see places all over the world. But, home is where the heart is, I guess! : )
True enough.
And I guess some places are easier on stupid laws than others ;)
'Fish pedicures'?!!!!
Re fish pedicures: yes, there are places that offer a pool of water where you can sit and dangle your tootsies into the water and little fish kindly nibble away at dead skin.
Oh dear... Nicole, are you still reading? Now you see why the strange laws are needed!!
Dan - please tell me you have never had a fish pedicure...?
So, to avoid illegal fish pedicure, they made up a law YEARS ago that prevents BARBER shops from having fish tanks?
Right :)
It does conjure up an amusing picture of a guy in a barber's chair getting his hair cut while his bare feet are down in a fish bowl being nibbled on!!!
I wouldn't mind a fish pedicure except my feet are way too ticklish!!
Mine too :)
Now, when was the law invented?
Go back a few years and imagine a real old Barber shop, snicker.... :)
Post a Comment