Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Bamboo Patrol

Well, Spring is here again, and the first thing on my list is to thin out my bamboo jungle at the back of the yard. So far, I've cut out about 20 long poles ranging 12 - 18' long. And then, there are these young shoots which, for some reason, began growing last year, in a zig-zaggy pattern. Surely, I can find something interesting to do with these!


14 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are Reggae Bamboo :D
You can make some awesome picture frames of them :)

Ballerina Girl said...

Very cool looking...they would look good in an arrangement I could make ;)
but I am sure yours will be much more lasting!

BG

tattytiara said...

Those are cool and yes, inspiring!

BLOGitse said...

'Reggae Bamboo' is good! :)

We're waiting for your creative postings -
'This is how reggae bamboo rocks' :)

BLOGitse

Scriber's Web said...

OOh.... frames would be good! You should totally dry them! I was thinking that you could make an excellent "play area" for my birdie with that!

mythopolis said...

So nice to think there are others who find a bunch of crooked sticks interesting! Yes, I have to let the material dry out, and then put it to use. One thing I am thinking of doing with some larger and straighter pieces is making some bamboo flutes.

Dee Newman said...

If you need anymore bamboo, I've got a bunch that needs to be harvested.

mythopolis said...

Thanks Dee, but I have my hands full just trying to keep my own bamboo from running off into the neighbor's yard!!

Ballerina Girl said...

Did you know that bamboo is an introduced species in many countries and is threatening to kill off certain other plants?
It is a big problem for the Mata Atlantica, or Atlantic Forest, here in Brasil.
Bamboo multiplies quickly and is extremely hard to kill off...

Anyways :)
BG

mythopolis said...

BG: Yes, I know. I planted the bamboo to create a screen between my yard and my neighbor's yard. It works very well, but, as you say it is invasive, and so, I have to cut it back each year. If not, it would go everywhere! Another plant introduced in the South has been Kudzu, a vine that climbs up on all other trees and bushes and kills them off. Luckily, I have no Kudzu!

Ballerina Girl said...

Myth, can you remind me of the name of the roses that you gre last year...the really easy, good climbers?
Thanks!

BG
(even though most roses are not recommended for my Zone 10, I thought I would try those ones!)

mythopolis said...

BG: I have just been pruning this rose back for Spring bloom. It is called a 'blaze' rose. They are available as shrubs/bushes, or vines. I got a vine, and it grows like crazy and asks for little help. My sis has the bush variety, and they just bloom and keep blooming, early Spring to late Fall.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with them. They make me think of the nature art in the video clip you sent me. Can't remember the name of the artist but he was Scottish, and as I recall the wind blew all his work apart before he finished it while he was being filmed... But these would be stronger than what he was doing.

mythopolis said...

Andy Goldsworthy is the artist's name and most of what he creates exists only for a short while. Many of his exhibits have to do with photo-documenting his work since it only exists for the moment. Some of his more permanent pieces may be seen in major museums around the world.