Thursday, February 11, 2010
Life's Bone Re-visited.
T.S. Eliot wrote that April is the cruellest month. I love the poem, but for me, it is February. In February, winter seems to have worn out it's welcome. And there is still some 60 days or so before I will smell the excitement of wet soft ground. My dog feels the same way. We both have cabin fever. I watch movies, doodle on the computer, read books to pass time. Life follows me all around the house. She has several bones to chew on. They lie here and there on the floor. Sometimes, I step on them in my bare feet. (You would not want to be here to hear what I said in such moments!) My dog and I do venture outside for brief periods. But she is frustrated because the ground is so hard. She likes to bury bones in the back yard. Let them soak up the musty moisture of the soil. They taste so good later. But that is not happening now. The ground is too hard. So, she gnaws away at her bones in the house. And she wants my attention. It is quite amusing. She likes to drop a bone down in front of me, and then look up, daring me to take it away from her. I get down on the floor and pretend I want her bone. I I growl at her and try to get the bone. She is very protective and growls back. It's a game we play in February.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Ah...ironic that the shortest month of the year seems to sometimes be the most trying!
Not much longer now....
BG
Wish we had a Portal and I could beam you guys over here.
We could enjoy a beer on the porch and the dogs could play ;)
Cheers, Nicole!
Lucy has a similar game. Although she's a retriever she has never been one to retrieve. Her approach seems to be 'You want it? Then why keep throwing it and expect me to bring it back for you?!' Instead she has this game of strategy of her own devising called 'Retrieve the ball from the jaws of the large, growling dog'. To her, this is a game of great merriment. To me, not so much!
@ Nicole: I think we'll meet someday. Although I'd opt for wine rather than beer:)
Mythos: Did you see the movie I recommended? My Feb. is flying by! I am just booked solid. Maybe we should do another project. What do you say?
Uh oh, Scriber...I forgot which movie...please remind me again. Is it about love and murder, I hope?
It's even cold in Texas. No snow, but the ground is hard and it's very brown here. The grass is not green at all. I miss that. I like the grass to be green, not brown. Even Chase is a bit cold. He's taken to snuggling up to me a lot to keep warm. (He prefers squeaky toys to bones. Go figure.)
Post a Comment