Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Smell of Meaning

As you may know, the past few days I have been holed up in my house since roads have been hazardous with all the snow and ice. For two days it was impossible to go anywhere. My own driveway was an empasse. Yes, I did get out and walk. It was quite beautiful. But, I spent a lot of time in the house admiring the winter scape from the window.

I watched some tv, but most of it looked like manic self-indulgence unchecked. The recent Grammy Awards being more akin to a meth high than a celebration of the arts, by way of example. So, at last, I resorted to comfort foods, a blanket, and a book. And it was as I lay there reading one of my favorite authors, Borges, it occurred to me how much I love to hold a book in my hands. It has a certain weightiness in my hands. I have to adjust my laziness on the couch in order to keep holding it. I have to turn the pages. And then I wanted to lie on my side and read. I have to adjust the way I hold the book. It was a wrestling match I found so familiar, and actually comforting.

I realize this is the way I grew up. I held books. I escaped into them. I wrestled with them. I loved to walk through the university stacks and just smell books. It was like a perfume to me. Maybe a mixture of the paper, the ink, the glue binding. Old books smell like the past they came from.

Young people, perhaps make the transition to cyber-space easier than I. I was born into a world of heavy, smelly books. I loved laboring to hold them and turn the pages. There is something special about holding a book. Turning its pages. I suppose a rose by any other name might smell as sweet; Borges, on an IPad may resonate as well as on paper. It's a generational thing. I grew up loving the book.

Some are old school. Some are new school. Some, like me, ride the fence. Cyberspace has its own kind of richness. I have made some friends there, that's for sure! I try to keep up, although I am woefully behind my children. I am their pre-digital parent, trying to keep up. I am amazed to see the things they do. I love the whole idea of cyber-space. But, I must confess my covert, guilty pleasure is to hold an old book in my hands. To lay it down sleepily upon my face. And fall asleep smelling the meanings I would read about tomorrow.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I can totally relate to books.
I am right now reading a typical American HUGE Volume.
No idea who makes books SO BIG.

Anyhow, I love it.

Yes, I like the idea of reading a book in an electronic device, getting the books I can't currently lay my hands on via download.

Yet, I still love to go to flea markets, get old, used books there.
Go into a bookshop, check the newest books in print.

Digital is simply not the same :)

Not hearing my best friend bitch about my husband bending the pages.
We still snicker about that one :)

Hope the weather gets better for you soon!
Nice, cool and sunny here ;)

Ballerina Girl said...

How beautifully worded Myth...
I almost feel guilty with my kindle now! But I do agree, we are generationally motivated.
I am happy that you have a blog, and if this is as digital as you get, good enough for me!
My parents do not even comment on my blog because they do not know how! It's no problem though, at least my Dad reads it to my Mom!
Every generation has its nuances, mainstreams, differences, etc...
As long as we accept the next generation, and try to keep up a little bit, right?!

BG

BLOGitse said...

"I realize this is the way I grew up. I held books. I escaped into them."

I've done the same.
An apple and a book - bye world!
When I have time and feeling I still escape into my old world of books...
I love the smell of paper, newspaper...

BG - my mother is not at all interested about internet or this digital hype...

Dee Newman said...

I just had this same discussion with the mother of an old childhood friend whose husband was a journalism professor. She is 85 and because of her failing eyesight recently got a Kindle. Though physically she struggles with a number of debilitating ailments, her mind is as sharp as ever. I love communicating with her on a regular bases. Much of the time we spend laughing our asses off, occasionally about the folly of others, but more often about the foolishness of our own emotional and intellectual positions and perceptions.

Though I was nearly eleven before I began to read, books have always been an intimate part of my life. My mother was a prolific reader and began reading to me at a very early age. She read Victor Hugo’s Le Miserables to me when I was in the 4th grade.

The arousal of any one of may senses can transport me back in time, listening to my mother read to me about fictional and factual people, places, and historical events. Smells have always been highly provocative.

Though books remain an important part of my life and though I still give and appreciate receiving them as gifts, I recognize that another living organism must give up its life for us to possess and experience them. Perhaps, it is time for us to find comfort in a Kindle or some other electronic device.

mythopolis said...

Thanks everybody for your interesting comments!

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

I love books too, and always have. I have no interest whatsoever in one of those digital books. I want to feel it and turn the pages, and I like to see them on the shelves after I've finished a book I really enjoyed and want to keep.

On the other hand I love being able to look up bits of information and get an answer instantly on the Internet. I have no idea how I ever managed without that!