I am home now after several days of tears and laughter with many friends and family. Death can sometimes call up surprising and wonderful moments. I met people I did not know, who had their own special time with my mother to tell about. And family from far away appearing, to tell stories about my mother from before I was even born.
And there were old friends who came to my side even though, in recent years, I have been a recluse or hermit, of sorts. "Old friends shine like diamonds."
And then, there were new friends too, that I've never even met in person, but with whom I have a connection by means of the modern technologies. Blog-friends who sent their emotional support to me.
Blogitse, (It's hard to know how to describe a cyber-friend at times) sent me an inscription from an Irish tombstone, and, as it turns out, we had time to work it into our memorial of our mother. A slideshow depicting photos of my mother at different points in her life, concluded with the quote sent from afar:
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, Love leaves a memory no one can steal."
I can only thank each and every one of you who, in one way or another, came to my emotional rescue in these past several days.
Much love, Dan
Monday, January 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Isn't it amazing how you can become friends even if you've never met.
Amazing how you can 'feel' something is wrong.
You can 'feel' if he's too quiet. You can 'feel' he's slowly coming back...
I'm so happy to know you as my (cyber) friend!
Take care,
have a good day!
Dan,
It was great to see you and see old friends and meet your sister and family.
On the way back to Nashville Don, Jill, Judy and I stopped by your house and viewed it from both the north and the south. I love it.
We also saw the the old log cabin down the road with the stacked-stone chimney. . . to bad it is not up for sale.
Lets get together soon.
Love ya, Dee
P.S. If you need any help with fixing that leak, let me know.
I think we have a lot in common, Blogitse. Your thoughts and my thoughts are often the same thoughts.
Dee, glad you got a glimpse of 'scenic' Pottsville! Thanks for being there for me during this time. It meant a lot. The leak? It needs fixing, but, it is so much small potatoes, as you know, in the world of larger sufferings.
It is indeed a small world. Several thousand miles means nothing at all! And in thanking you for welcoming me to your circle of blog friends I'm happy that I could be there for you at times over the past weeks and months when you wanted to 'talk'. That's a lovely quote from BLOGitse and perfect that you were able to include it in your mum's funeral. I'm relieved for you and your family that her suffering is over. Now you have the happy memories to think about.
Janice. x
Take care of yourself Dan! You are special. Keeping you in my thoughts.
What a wonderful quote..I hadn't read the comments the other day when I commented because I felt like they were all a personal message to you.
As for me, Dan, Myth....I so enjoy your comments and your blog. They lift me at times, surprise me at others (you know, mostly those death stories ;)
But whatever you're writing or creating, it is a pleasure to be able to be a small part of!
I hope that your healing through all of our words.
BG
That quote is very beautiful and oh so true.
I am glad you had many good people around you, from close and far, past and new.
Hugs!
Again, thanks to each and every one.
Several years ago, you moved to Pottsville to be near your Mother...to partner with your sister in your mother's care. You have been at your mother's side for all these days...listening, comforting ,and just being present for her with tenderness, kindness, and understanding.I have not known any other adult son to offer this kind of gift, and I know how well loved your mother felt during her last days. You have honored both your sweet mother and your remarkable father by your extraordinary devotion to her during these last years.You are one in a million, Dan..living a beautiful life that matters. I love you, Judi
Dan, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother's passing. I'll too be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Post a Comment